Sunday, January 11, 2015

Jewish Apple Cake

I remember many a weekend at my Nana's baking till all hours making all kinds of goodies. She used to ask me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday and I always said Apple! She had to make two because you can't frost an apple cake! One time in grade school someone had a big slice in their lunch. I traded my entire lunch for the single piece. Unfortunately it wasn't the same. It wasn't the same recipe at all. I remember being so disappointed. Well here is THE recipe and I do hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I get all teary when I make it as the sight and smell brings me back to days gone by....and wish were still here.

Jewish Apple Cake

3 cups four (cake flour) all purpose is fine. I like unbleached  myself
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs (beat well)
About 6-8 apples Granny Smith preferably I like lots of apples!
Pre-heat oven 350 degrees

Grease and lightly flour a two piece tube pan.

Slice apples and mix with 4 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoon of cinnamon and set aside.
Beat eggs and add sugar mixing till smooth.

Add oil, orange juice etc. Last add flour.
Pour some batter in bottom of pan and layer apples. Keep layering ending with batter on top. You don't need to completely cover apples before adding more apples.

Layer apples and batter thinly

You don't have to complete bury the apples in the batter before adding more apples.
Pop into pre-heated oven.

Bake 1 1/2 hours or until toothpick comes out clean.


Bet you can't eat just one slice!
    You can just taste it now can't you! Depending on your oven the 1 1/2 hours in the oven may be enough but usually I end up going another 15 min. When you check with the toothpick be aware if you poke the apples you may not get a genuine test result.

   I do hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Make it often and when you do close your eyes and remember fond childhood memories of your own, as I have. 

Enjoy!

Stephanie DelGrippo

PS. As always if you should have any questions just ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment