Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Homemade Manicotti with Marinara Sauce

    I remember watching my Nana making the crespelle (crepe shell) for this. She was dipping into the batter and swirling it in a hot pan round and round lifting it with her fingers and tossing it over to briefly cook the other side before shimming it out onto the growing stack on plate. I begged her to let me try it. I guess I was about 7 or 8 at the time. She did relent, and I guess I did ok but I was only allowed to do one though she had to fix it first before adding to the stack! It was fascinating to watch her.

    These are so tender, light and delicious. The crespelle is also very versatile too. You can use it for a dessert dish too. Slice up some strawberries add a little whipped cream, fold over top with more whipped cream and a whole berry for garnish! I always made it for my boys with any left over crespelle. So onto the good stuff here. First we need to make the crespelle. If you are not going to use them right a way you can store in the refrigerator for a few days which is nice. Making them ahead of time will cut down on your prep time.  This recipe will make about 18 filled crespelle. So let us begin. You will need the following:

Manicotti Crespelle

 6 eggs-Beat Well then add
2 cups of water
2 cups of flour
dash of salt
Beating after each addition

I want to talk a moment about the pan. I use this one.


It has shallow sides and overall a great size. Not too big not too small. Believe it or not I only use it to me crespelle. I don't use it for anything else and won't allow anyone else to use it either! This particular one is +Farberware Cookware 8" pan. Mix up your batter and get your workspace ready.


I chose my smallest ladle which holds enough batter for my purpose. You may want to experiment with what you have. Too much batter in the pan makes a thick crespelle. We want thin. Too little and you won't have enough batter to coat the pan properly.
Heat up your pan and for your first one you may want to very lightly coat the pan with margarine or +PAM Cooking Spray. You will only have to do this once. Have a fork and spatula handy too for flipping. Dip into your batter and pour into the pan and swirl the pan completely coating the bottom. This may take practice. Once you get the hang of it, it will be a snap.

Swirl the pan and coat up the sides

Once the edges curl away  from the pan lift and flip over either with your fingers or your spatula.

After flipping, swish around in your pan for a second or two and then put on your stack.
Full batch will make about 18-20 crespelle. 

    At this point, like I have said earlier, you can wrap them up and keep in the refrigerator ahead of time or freeze for future use. Next step is to make a marinara sauce.

Marinara Sauce


1 can @Tuttorosso Crushed tomatoes Green can
4 cloves of garlic diced
1 small onion diced
fresh parsley or dried
fresh basil or dried
Romano cheese
Salt and pepper to taste.

Put a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in small pan add garlic and saute till tender.



Add the onions and saute till translucent then add your can of tomatoes

Add parsley, basil, salt and pepper stirring often



Add some grated cheese (this is my homemade cheese)

Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 min. Remove from heat.
You can use your regular tomato gravy that is made with meatballs and sausage if you want. I did the Marinara because I didn't have time to do a Sunday pot of gravy! Now we have to make our filling.

Manicotti Filling

2 pounds Ricotta cheese whole or part skim
 2 eggs (an egg for every pound of cheese if you are going to make more)
About two tablespoons of grated cheese
About a tablespoon of dried parsley or fresh
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Mix well


Now we are going to assemble everything. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and grab your baking dish!
Need to put a light coating of your marinara sauce and sprinkle some grated cheese on top. You do not need to grease this pan.

Get workspace ready to go.
Take one crespelle and add a heaping spoon's worth and spread across the middle.
Fold over each side seam down.

Place in dish side by side till filled. Remember, all seems down.

Add more sauce on top and sprinkle some more grated cheese on top.
Place in oven for about 45 minutes. Watch that the sides don't burn. Ovens do vary. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

These are so light and tender. They will literally melt in your mouth! I guarantee they will be a crowd pleaser. Now I know this seems like a lot of work but it is well worth it. Those store bought tubes can not complete with this. Give this a try once and believe me you will never buy those things again. Don't forget you can make the crespelle ahead of time as well as the marinara sauce. As always if you have any questions please let me know. I will be more than happy to answer you!

Enjoy!

Stephanie DelGrippo



No comments:

Post a Comment