Sunday, January 12, 2014

Beef and Shrimp over Linguini

I found myself with some cheek meat and limited vegetables to make a suitable stew. Actually I really wanted to try Boeuf Bourguignon but I didn't have any of the ingredients. So, in the spirit of this blog I used what I had. The result was so good I couldn't get enough of it. So here are the ingredients I did have and used.

1-1 1/2 cubed beef
1 16 oz. can Tuttorosso Crushed tomatoes (green can)
3 clove garlic chopped
Parsley 
Basil
Onion Powder
Hot pepper flakes
1/2 to 1 pound shrimp uncooked peeled and soaking in salt water
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound or less Linguini or other pasta
 
In a dutch oven add some olive oil about 4 tablespoon heat till hot. Dry the beef cubes really well. They won't brown otherwise (per Julia Child). Don't crowd and transfer to a plate till all are well browned. Add your chopped garlic and cook slightly. Don't burn! Add your can of tomatoes, the meat, sprinkle some onion powder and hot pepper flakes (adds a little spice to it), basil and parsley, liberally. Stir and cover. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally. What will happen is the acid in the tomato will break down the meat making it very tender! Meanwhile, peel your shrimp and put in cold salty water. The salt water will plump up your shrimp. My brother always wondered why my shrimp were always so plump and tender...now you know!
 
Now check your beef and tomato. The gravy should be by now a deep red and smell really good! Add your shrimp and cook about 15 minutes or until shrimp it cooked. Cook your pasta in slightly salted water and drain when tender. Since I didn't want to use another bowl I dumped the drained pasta into the dutch oven and stirred to coat the pasta. Serve. Makes about 4-6 servings.
It's like surf and turf in one bowl! Add some garlic bread and a salad and you have a great meal!
Let me know how yours comes out!
 
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph


No comments:

Post a Comment