Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Amish Homemade Buttermilk Pie

I promised a recipe for that homemade buttermilk so I decided to try the Homemade Buttermilk Pie from the same book from a previous blog. You will need the crust from Crust Recipe (follow link) for this pie. I had one ball left and it rolled out as I promised...beautifully. I did some searching on the web for these recipes and noted that they are indeed there but I also noticed that they go by names that most wouldn't even think of looking for as in BobAndy Pie named after a pair of prized gelding horses! Enough of that. You came for this recipe. We will try the BobAndy pie another day...
 

Homemade Buttermilk Pie
 
1 disk My Homemade Pie Dough (see above)
1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup fresh buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 
Prepare your pie plate with your dough.
Pre-heat over 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, buttermilk, eggs sugar and flour with a whisk. pour the filling into the unbaked piecrust. Sprinkle the top with the nutmeg. Bake until pie turns a golden brown color and pie is firm, about 45 minutes. Store any leftovers in a sealed cake safe. The pie will keep for about 2 days.
 
Mine took about 15 minutes longer. It puffed up before it would firm up.
 
What I love about these recipes is the simplicity. Nothing fancy but all goodness. Anyone can put one of them together in no time for any occasion. I put this one together before work. It is like a custard. You will not believe how so few ingredients can make something so yummy!
 
Please leave your comments below. They are most welcome.
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph


No comments:

Post a Comment