Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fool Proof Pie Crust and Chocolate Chip Pie!

I love the library! The internet is great for searching things out but some things just don't beat the local library. You can find more of the obscure there and old as well. I found a book called @The Amish Cook's Baking Book by Lovina Eicher with Kevin Williams. I wanted to try some new recipes for the upcoming holidays. I think I found the perfect pie dough! I also found a wealth of great recipes I would like to share as I make them.   
 
I have been baking as long as I can remember. I used to spend more weekends that I can remember at my Nana's and we would bake and cook and crochet till past 1 in the morning. Ah the memories. Even with all that baking I can never make a decent pie crust that didn't give me a hissy fit rolling it out and putting it in the pan. I actually would dread making it for fear it would rip and tear which it often did. I used the two piece of wax paper technique and the roll on the pin way always broke up and a lot of patching was involved. May be the reason I don't make a lot of pies even though I don't eat cake as a rule, there is always time for pie! I was totally amaze how this dough rolled out without any accouterments that I am not dreading making my pumpkin and coconut cream pies this year! I do want to make one note here first before you may substitute one of the ingredients. The lard. Seems like a nasty word. I have talked with others and there is nothing like a crust made with lard so before you substitute, which I know you are itching to do, give it a try. Pie is not a diet food and you have to let your hair down a little ever once in a while. I do not know if substituting it will make the same crust. I used @Armour Manteca lard which is readily available in the grocery store. Try the Mexican aisle.
Just do me a favor and try it the way it says and then make your choice if you want to compare it with using another substitute. I, for one, will not mess with perfection! So here it is.
 
 
My Homemade Pie Dough
(from The Amish Cook's Baking Book) 
Makes 3 single 9-inch crusts
 
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup lard
1 large egg
1/3 cup cold water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
 
In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Stir to blend. Add the lard and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg, water, and vinegar and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are moistened. Form the dough into a ball and divide that into 1 balls. Form a ball into a disk and roll it out to a 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface.
 
Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan and trim the edges to a 1-inch overhang. Fold the dough under and crimp the edges. If not using now, form the remaining 2 balls of dough in to disks, place each in a resealable plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
 
And there you have it. Here is the recipe for the chocolate pie. Very simple and simply the best.
 
Chocolate Chip Pie
Makes one 9-inch pie
 
1 disk of @My Homemade Pie Dough
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare your crust in your pie plate.
 
In a large bowl, combine the sugar and flour; stir in eggs and butter until the batter is well-blended and smooth. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract; mix until smooth and the chocolate chips are evenly distributed. pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack or window sill until the pie is firm, about 45 minutes. Store any leftovers in a sealed cake safe. The pie will keep for about 5 days.

 
 
And there it is. So simple, few ingredients and the best I have ever tasted! If you are a chocalcoholic this is the pie for you! The crust just melts in your mouth! The filling is so heavenly.
 
Let me know if you try this and if you get the same results as I did. I did use one of the other crust for my Beef Pot Pie! One disk made two 6inch deep dish pies!

 Perfection!
 I am off now to have another piece of pie!
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment