Saturday, February 22, 2014

Tenderizing Chicken

As I have hopefully said before, tenderizing chicken before cooking can make a very juicy meal. Buttermilk is a wonderful commodity for your kitchen. In a previous post I showed how to culture your own for an endless supply of it. Soaking chicken in buttermilk first is a wonderful way to enhance your eating delight. It is not confined to just chicken but try it with other meats and poultry for sure. Wonder what my Thanksgiving turkey would be like? Hmmmm. You will be pleasantly surprised at the taste of your meal after trying this trick. I have personally tried it on port with great results. If you should try it with other meats please let me know and share your experience with all. I added hot sauce to the buttermilk and some other spices, don't be afraid. Add what you want. Another trick is those marinade packets at the store. Add one of those to the mix if you want.
Here I am soaking chicken legs that I got on sale cheap. I did cut off the lower let and de-boned and skinned the thighs first. They will sit there for about an hour or more till I am ready to cook all or some of it. It was a big package so I may cook the legs today and the thighs tomorrow. DO NOT TOSS YOUR LEFT OVER BONES IN THE GARBAGE! Oh my goodness! Get a medium pot and fill will water and as you cut and de-bone them babies crack the bones with the back of your knife and pop them into the water with a bay leaf, perhaps a few leaves of sage (shake is fine) and simmer skimming the gunk off the top.
You can make a spot of soup adding some onion, carrot, celery and your fav pasta or any recipe that calls for chicken stock! Or just cook your rice in it instead of water for a very flavorful rice dish. Out of what you would normally toss in the garbage you would have to pay good money in the store for. I don't know about you but saving money is a priority these days with me. I be dang if I will spend my hard earned money on something I can make while cooking my meal! On another note for all you crabbers out there....save them bones for crab bait! I never buy crab bait and catch lots of crabs with it in my traps. During the winter I make stock, during the spring through fall I use it for bait....maximize your dollar!
 
   Any questions please feel free to ask. I so welcome any comments below.
 
 
Enjoy!
Steph
 


No comments:

Post a Comment