Saturday, April 5, 2014

Homemade Mozzarella Part I Let the Curds Begin!


Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Part 1
Let the Curds Begin!

     I am doing this in two parts because it is much easier on time for most people. Also so you can relish in the success of accomplishment of both steps. In the past I have tried over and over again to make mozzarella with hit and miss success. Since I don’t like anything getting the better of me I kept trying till I hit on the best approach to both crucial steps involved. I had pretty much got the first step down pat, which is the easy part that most can do, but the second step eluded me for a long time. I either got a great cheese spread or I got a rubbery rendition of the real deal. I trolled the internet and watched loads of video and never pounced on the same delivery of stretching the cheese which is crucial to making the stuff. I almost lost everything one time and kicked myself in the butt! You know, there has to be hundreds of sites and video on how to make the stuff. Everyone has personal opinion how to make it. Not to mention it’s success…I even watch this one video that touted from start to finish and the darn guy started with commercial made curds and only demonstrated how to stretch it only! Well in my book it was definitely not start to finish. Just part 2. But, to give where credit is due, that particular video did give me a solution to my issue with part 2. Solved all my issues and I am grateful for sure. More on that in part II. So without further ado here is part 1.

             I have been working with one gallon of milk at a time. It is so much easier to work with. I have to mention that lately I have worked with some Amish fresh milk but there isn’t a reason that regular store bought will not work for you too. I have tried this with and without the pickle crisp and with works the best so I recommend it. Ball makes it and it was available at the local Walmart in the canning section. So get some. You will also need citric acid and Junket rennet. Salt is important for preserving as well as taste. DO NOT use table salt. Iodine will ruin it. Use either kosher, sea or my cheap fav pickling salt. No iodine. Important. So, let’s run down the list:
 

1 gal milk of choice (whole and fresh preferable and encouraged for best results)

1 tsp of Ball pickle crisp dissolved in a ¼ cup of non chlorinated water. Important too!

1 tablespoon of citric acid also dissolved in a ¼ cup of non chlorinated water

1 tablet of Junket rennet dissolved in a ¼ cup of non chlorinated water
 
Here we go…I use the double boiler method easier to control the heat.
Bring milk up to room temp. Add the pickle crisp mix wait couple of minutes and add the citric acid mix and stir. Gets lumpy some at this time.
Start to bring up to 89 degrees in the double boiler set up. Usually about 95 degrees in the water should get you where you should be in the milk. Adjust to get to 89-90 with the milk. Stir to distribute heat evenly. Turn off heat when you have to so not to go over.

Once at 89-90 stir in the rennet mix about 20 seconds and for goodness sakes turn off the heat and on again to maintain your temp. Take it off the heat if you have to. Just be gentle. Place the lid on the pot with the temp off and check to make sure every once in a while you still have 89-90 degrees till clean break happens.
To check for clean break take a spoon as in above the whey should be a pale yellow and the curd separates cleanly. Once that happens cut the curd in three different directions and let sit 15 min to release more of the whey.

Gently stir, and then start to raise temp to 102 slowly. The curds will mat and you will want to stir to separate them and evenly cook them.

Do this and maintain the 102 for about 20 min. Strain into a bowl in a colander and transfer over hot whey that you have drained. Make sure the bottom of the colander is not sitting in the whey but over it. You may have to pour off some of the whey but reserve it to make the ricotta!

It will mat which is ok. Flip over still over in the colander over the hot whey. It will help draw off the liquid. I put the lid on top. I find this is easier than transferring to a cloth and hanging. One less mess to deal with. 
At this point you store the resulting curd in the fridge till ready for stretching. Meanwhile, take all the whey and raise the heat and gently boil it for about 30-40 min. and then let sit for a while to cool. strain in a tight weave strainer to get all the ricotta.
Use what is left of the whey for bread baking or if you know someone who is into protein shakes and the like they can use it. It is full of protein. Drink it if you wish or water your plants with it even! Till part 2 the stretching! Come back to see an easy way to do it!
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph
 

No comments:

Post a Comment