Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Homemade Pita Bread

Every once in a while I get a hankering for Greek Gyro. To make that great sandwich you need pita bread! In this blog I am only  posting the pita part. The rest is for another blog. Any way, these are relatively easy and one of the few recipes I use store bought yeast for. Another thing, for my sandwiches I like them big but you can make smaller ones. What you need is:

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 cup of warm water
4 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of salt
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
 
Mix the sugar, 1/2 cup of water and yeast together and let get bubbly for about 10 min or so.  Mix your salt in the rest of your water. In a large bowl place your flour and make a well. Add your yeast mixture and the water mixture and form a dough, add the olive oil and knead till well mix.
Let rise about an hour or two till doubled in size.
Knead for a little while and form into balls a little bit larger than golf balls and roll out flat to about 1/4 in. or 3/8 in. high and place on lightly greased cookie sheets.

As I said I like them larger so I use more dough and they are a bit fatter and take a minute or two more of cooking time. Poke a few holes and let rest for about 15 min. or so while your oven heats up to 350 degrees. With the rack as low as it goes bake for about 3 min. each side till just barely golden. Remove and let cool.

 
I have used this recipe for years with great success. I hope you do too. If you have any questions or comments please leave them below. I would be happy to hear from you.
 
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment