Monday, November 18, 2013

Homemade American Cheese

I found this recipe on the web a while back. It was for American cheese. I think it is more of a Velveeta type cheese. I made it this week to go on my cauliflower for Thanksgiving next week. The original recipe called for straight Colby cheese but I found that you can use a Colby Jack combo just as well. I also have tried grated swiss which was quite tasty. This cheese will melt nicely. Great for sauces, grilled cheese or on crackers. Let's get started.

1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon water
12 ounces (about 3 cups) of Colby or cheese of choice shredded
1 tablespoon whole dry milk powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/2 cup + two tablespoons whole milk
 
Line a 5x4 inch aluminum loaf pan, the mini ones, with plastic wrap. 

Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small cup and let sit until the gelatin softens, about 5 min. Combine the cheese, salt, dry milk and cream of tartar in a food processor and give it a few pulses. Heat the milk to boiling and whisk in the gelatin till dissolved. With the processor on pour the hot milk into the cheese and process till smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. About a minute or so.
Now immediately transfer to your lined pan quickly. Pack it in and smooth down to expel any air holes. A spatula works well here. Then fold over the wrap over the cheese smoothing the cheese further and then refrigerate.
Several hours later you can slice up and use.

The original recipe said not to use non-fat dry milk but I couldn't find it in the store. I did use the non-fat and I don't think it came out bad. If I do find it I will try it with it instead and see what the difference it makes. I also buy the cheese already shredded to facilitate the processing. I picked up the cheese on sale for $1.22-$1.50 a package. I make this in two batches as the same time. Three packs of cheese will makes two loafs. So much cheaper to make than buying market Velveeta. And you get bragging rights!
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph
 

No comments:

Post a Comment