Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pumpkin Pie!

A friend of mine Cyndi from Facebook asked for my recipe for pumpkin pie. I originally got it from +Reader's Digest Back to Basics book I acquired in 1981. I love this book and have referenced it often over the years. Most of the recipes you find for pumpkin pie call for evaporated milk or cream and such. Not this one. Just simple ingredients which nowadays is a good thing. Use the crust I have posted HERE and you will have a lovely pie in no time!
 
Pumpkin Pie
 
3 cups pumpkin, canned or steamed and pureed
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons Molasses
1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups of scalded milk
 
If canned pumpkin is used, cook until thick. I always use fresh. I bake it till softened and use my food processor. Don't want to boil! That would add extra water and you don't want that. I used a Crookneck pumpkin or gourd which they really are . The neck of it is solid and the skin is extremely easy to peel with a vegetable peeler. If you use a regular pumpkin the easiest way is to cut it open, scrap the seeds and strings out and cut into chunks with the skin on and bake. After it has softened and cooled slice off the rind before pureeing.  
(photo from /woodridgehomestead.com)
 
Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into pie shells. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees, and bake 40 minutes more or until knife inserted between center and edge comes out clean. Cool. Can serve topped with whipped cream, pecan halves, or a drizzle of caramel syrup. Makes two 9 -inch pies.
 
I like mine deep dished. Here is a picture of mine.
 
 
Like I mentioned I have been using this recipe since the early 80's and it has never failed me. Now that I have this great crust I have been using, it comes out like a dream.
 
Let me know how yours comes out! You can leave me a comment or questions below.
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph



No comments:

Post a Comment