Thursday, November 28, 2013

Homemade Kahlua!

I thought with the upcoming holidays this would be something different. I was talking with my daughter and sent her the recipe, so I thought, why not? I like to share! Kahlua can be very expensive. Since my purpose is to save money and still enjoy the good things in life, here it is. This would make a great gift for someone who enjoys Kahlua or for you to enjoy on a cold day in your coffee with family and friends. A little disclaimer first. Please drink responsibly and don't drink and drive. I want everyone to stay safe please!
 
Homemade Kahlua
 
2 cups water
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup dry instant coffee (fresh)
1/2 chopped vanilla bean
1 1/2 cups vodka
 
Boil water and sugar until dissolved. Turn off heat. Slowly add dry instant coffee and continue stirring. Add a chopped vanilla bean to the vodka, then combine the cooled sugar syrup and coffee solution with the vodka. cover tightly and shake vigorously each day for 3 weeks. Strain and filter. You can use cheese cloth to filter. Yields about 4 cups. I usually double the recipe when I make it.
After filtering you can add a couple of teaspoonful of glycerin if you want. It thickens the mixture. You can also substitute rum for the vodka for Tia Maria. Store in dark bottles and keep away from heat and light. I keep the mixture in a brown paper bag during the shaking period.
 
Bet you didn't think it was so easy! This has been my point all along. You don't have to shell out lots of money for some of the finer points in life. You can make it yourself. It is just a little prep time and mostly just wait time. I am positive your family and friends will not believe you made it yourself. It's called the "WOW" factor.
 
Enjoy!
 
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment